Following on in my series of embarrassing photos we have some of getting locked in the mess. These include people performing their party pieces which became such a feature of quiet evenings in front of the fire.
The men’s mess in Waterford was always good craic and would get livelier the later the night went on. I didn’t spend that much time in the NCO’s mess (even when an NCO) as the door policy on the men’s mess wasn’t very strict. That said a lot of these photos are actually from the NCO’s mess! As I only became an officer late in my career I don’t have any great experience of officer’s messes except to say that those I did get to attend were pretty sedate affairs!
There was always an active sing-song culture in the various messes and different people would have a specific party piece that was associated with them. I will get the ball rolling here and let’s see how many we can recall.
- Paddy Cuffe – Johnny B Goode as well as general guitar play.
- Olly Seery – Lilly Marlene (pictured)
- Sam Irwin – Sam, pick up thy musket
- Kevin Browne – The town I loved so well
- Kevin Phelan – We’re hunting bears
- Dicky Haughton – The meeting of the dogs, The Cisco Kid
- Gerry Paley – In the ghetto
- Alan Kavanagh – The music man
- Conor O’Toole – Spancilhill
- Paul Fox – Ronnie Drew songs
Someone would also lead us in “The Wild West Show” which featured such fine exhibits as the Oomygooly bird, the Winky-Wanky bird, the Orangutan, the Cry-cry bird and the Leopard.